Canine Bible is reader-supported. We receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Learn more.
This is the most comprehensive guide to learning all about CBG for dogs, including finding the best CBG oil for dogs brands.
You have probably already heard about CBD, but there is a new kid in the block, Cannabigerol, also known as CBG.
Like CBD, CBG is a cannabinoid, meaning it’s one of the many chemicals found in the cannabis plant. But, there’s recently been more interest in the potential benefits of CBG for dogs. However, there are certain things you need to understand before giving CBG oil to your dog’s diet.
Today we breakdown, the difference between CBD and CBG, benefits, dosage, risk, research and everything in between so you can use this product safely on your dog. Plus, we’ve reviewed the top dog CBG oil brands. Let’s dive right in!
- What Is CBG?
- CBD vs CBG: What’s The Difference?
- How Does CBG Work On Dogs?
- Risks & Side Efffects
- Feeding CBD & CBG Together?
- What To Look For
- Best CBG For Dogs Reviews
- Best CBG For Cats
- How To Use CBG
- Dog CBG Dosage
- CBG Dog Treat Recipe
- Dog CBG Oil Alternatives
Best CBG Oil For Dogs (Our Top Picks At Glance)
Here is an overview of just four of our top picks (by category) for the best CBG oil for dogs.
You can click here to go straight to the reviews, but we encourage you to read the first few sections of this article to make a more educated decision when buying dog CBG oil.
What Is CBG For Dogs?
Cannabigerol (CBG) is a type of cannabinoid obtained from the cannabis plant. It is similar to CBD (Cannabidiol).
CBG is often referred to as the mother (or precursor) of all cannabinoids because the acidic form of cannabigerol (CBG-A) breaks down to form CBG, CBD, THC, and CBC (cannabichromene, another cannabinoid) when heated.
Similar to CBD, CBG doesn’t produce the psychotropic effects associated with THC making it an excellent holistic, all-natural medicine for pets and people.
CBG is found in smaller amounts in cannabis plants than other cannabinoids. There is only 1% CBG in most hemp plant strains compared to 20 to 25% CBD or 25 to 30% THC. For this reason, CBG-derived products are rare and more expensive.
CBG oil is typically extracted from young cannabis plants. Young cannabis plants contain higher concentrations of CBG. As the plant matures, CBG is converted to CBD, THC, and other cannabinoids, which lessens the concentrations of CBG.
Research has revealed CBG offers numerous health benefits for pets and humans. We explain in more detail below.
Dog CBG Oil Types
There are three main types of CBG oil extracts.
- CBG Isolate. 99.99% pure CBG, no THC, and terpenes.
- Broad-spectrum CBG oil. CBG and terpenes, no THC.
- Full-spectrum CBG oil. CBG, multiple components of the cannabis plant, terpenes, other cannabinoids, and less than 0.3% THC. This type contains THC but in minimal amounts, which is unlikely to affect your dog. It produces the entourage effect. This meanins enhanced effects of cannabinoids, such as CBG, when multiple compounds synergistically work together rather than alone.
What’s The Difference Between CBD vs CBG For Dogs?
CBG and CBD are often compared because both act on the endocannabinoid system and share the same benefits.
While research on CBG is still limited, there is some preliminary difference between CBD and CBG for dogs we identified based on the literature available.
1. Pharmacology. CBD and CBG also activate receptors differently. CBD helps to produce and regulate endocannabinoids, while CBG works on the receptors.1 One study found CBG behaves as an antagonist (blocker) at that receptor, where CBD has strong anti-nausea effects, which means it acts like an agonist (activator).4
2. Balancing effects. CBD is typically calming, while CGB usually energizes. It works as a catalyst for energy. The two balance each other out when taken together.2
3. Molecular structure. Their molecular makeup is different. Hence, their impact on the body is different. CBG is a hydrophobic lipid that contains a 21-carbon chain plus an aromatic hydrocarbon ring that reads C21H32O2. On the other hand, CBD’s chemical formula (which is the same as THC’s) is C21H30O2. The difference lies in the way the atoms are arranged. That gives CBD and CBG different chemical properties, and they affect your pet’s body differently.
4. Benefits. Studies indicate that CBG may have therapeutic potential in treating neurologic disorders (e.g., Huntington’s disease).3 Whereas, CBD has been shown to be more effective with the physical body – relieving issues such as pain and inflammation.
5. Concentration. CBG is found in much lower concentrations (1% to be exact) in the hemp plant than CBD and THC.
We cover the benefits and pharmacology (how it works) of CBG in more detail below.
How Does CBG Work In Dogs?
CBG interacts with the body through the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is responsible for balancing the body’s major systems, promoting homeostasis, and building and maintaining overall health.
Humans, dogs, and all vertebrate animals (i.e., mammals, birds, amphibians, fish, and reptiles) have an ECS.
The ECS has cannabinoid receptors (CB) throughout most of the body’s major organs, including lymph nodes, mast cells, and arrector pili muscles.5
There are two subtypes of cannabinoid receptors: CB1 and CB2. CB1 receptors are found in canine brains (central nervous system), lungs, liver, and kidneys, while CB2 receptors are located in their immune system, among other parts of the body.
In a 2018 study, CBG is described as a non-psychotropic (non-psychoactive) compound that binds to both CB1 and CB2 receptors and acts as a competitive antagonist (blocker) for CB1 and the α2 adrenoreceptor. CBG blocks the release of proinflammatory cytokines and prostaglandin E2 in primary microglial cells, using lipopolysaccharide (LPS) defense.6
In layman’s terms, when cannabigerol is detected in your dog’s system, it blocks signals that detect pain, cause appetite loss, and cause our pets to feel drowsy. It also builds up anandamide, a neurotransmitter that helps to enhance pleasure, increase motivation and stimulation, regulate eating and sleeping habits, and reduce pain.7
The literature notes that CBG has a high affinity to bind to CB1 and CB2, making it highly efficient at delivering its benefits.
Dog CBG Oil Benefits
So, what are the benefits of CBG for dogs?
While CBG dog studies have not been published yet, human and animal research studies have shown promising results. Here are some of its unique health benefits.
- Anti-bacterial agent
- Digestive health
- Bladder issues
- Mood enhancement
- Chronic pain relief
- Eye health (Glaucoma)
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Huntington’s disease
- Cancer (anti-tumoral properties)
- Appetite loss
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Cellular health support
- Digestive health
- Immune support
- Sleep deprivation
- Brain function and neuroprotective properties
- Joint & bone health
- Calming, relaxation and mental alertness without drowsiness
Current scientific studies report CBG oil is beneficial to your dog’s health and may prevent or alleviate symptoms from certain diseases.
- Cancer: A study on rats showed cannabigerol can inhibit abnormal cell proliferation. The research demonstrated evidence of CBG’s anti-tumorigenic properties by inhibiting the formation of mouse skin melanoma cells.8 Similarly, research published in July of 2021 suggests that CBG is a strong antioxidant agent, protecting the endocannabinoid system against disease-causing free radicals (chemicals-harming cells).9
Additional research on the effects of CBG on rats with colon cancer showed CBG blocking the receptors that cause cancer cell growth and inhibiting the growth of colorectal cancer cells.17
- Anti-bacterial agent: Researchers at McMaster University in Canada found that cannabigerol kills bacterial growth. CBG was found to effectively eliminate many methicillin-resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), a bacteria resistant to most anti-bacterials.10 CBG outperformed all of the cannabinoids tested and was just as effective as vancomycin, a powerful antibiotic.
- Appetite: CBG stimulates appetite and could be used to treat appetite problems for cachexia, appetite loss, wasting in humans, or other appetite issues associated with eating disorders, AIDS, and cancer. A study where 16 rat test subjects were tested, CBG was found to more than double food intake.11
- Neuroprotection: Another study published on the Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics tells us that CBG exhibits affinity at the cannabinoid receptors but appears to be unique in its interactions with α-2 adrenoceptors and 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT1A). Adndroceptors mediate the central and peripheral actions of neurotransmitters, norepinephrine and epinephrine. While 5-hydroxytryptamine is a serotonin receptor, the key hormone that stabilizes our mood, feelings of well-being, and happiness. The paper indicates CBG may have therapeutic potential in treating neurologic disorders (e.g., Huntington disease, Parkinson’s disease, and multiple sclerosis neuropathic pain).3,12,13,15
Moreover, when comparing the neuroprotective qualities of CBD and CBG, the latter (CBG) was significantly more potent at reducing neurotransmitter depletion than CBD, even in lower concentrations.14
- Glaucoma: Scientists found that applying CBG to the eyes of cats with Glaucoma reduces intraocular eye pressure and increases fluid produced by the eye, which maintains healthy eye pressure and provides the eye with nutrition.16
- Nausea and vomiting: The treatment of nausea, sickness, and vomiting with CBG is weak, ineffective, and provides little relief from symptoms.18
- Pain & Inflammation: CBG has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, making it beneficial for conditions in dogs such as arthritis and hip dysplasia. Based on a study conducted on mice, the compound may reduce inflammation associated with inflammatory bowel disease.19
- Anxiety: Compared to CBD, CBG may offer more potent anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) effects. It’s been shown that CBG’s anti-anxiety effects directly result from boosting GABA (gamma-Aminobutyric acid) absorption. GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter that produces a calming effect. CBG also stimulates Alpha-2 receptors, which smooth muscle contraction in the body by producing a relaxing effect. This explains why CBG could be a better way to produce a calming effect on the central nervous system and helping decrease blood pressure, anxiety and reduce the intensity of heart palpitations.20
As you can see, CBG may be able to improve multiple health conditions. Other benefits, according to research, include treating bladder dysfunctions, mental focus without drowsiness, mood, pleasure, reward, sleep, and much more.21
These studies are promising, but it is essential to remember that research is still underway before determining a concrete understanding of how CBG works in the body and its benefits
*Because the research is still minimal compared to CBD, the CBG mechanisms of action on the body are still not fully understood.
CBG Oil In Dogs Risks & Side-Effects
Very little is known about the side effects of CBG.
Rats seem to tolerate it well so far.22 Humans also respond well without adverse effects, according to anecdotal evidence.
As of now, there are no reports of short or long-term health problems from consuming CBG products.
However, side effects or risks are similar to CBD or cannabinoids in general, including:
- Overdosing (always follow the directions on the product’s packaging and your veterinarian’s recommendations)
- Nausea or vomiting
- Dry mouth
- Appetite changes
Is CBG Safe For Dogs?
Yes. CBG is as safe as CBD. However, you should also consult with your vet and follow professional guidance before giving CBG to your pet.
In the United States, CBG is legal, and pet product manufacturers can use it as long as it is derived from the hemp plant and not marijuana.
In fact, in April 2021, the European Commission added CBG to its cosmetic ingredient database meaning European producers can now safely use it as an ingredient in cosmetic products.23
Fedding CBG & CBD To Your Dog: Is It Safe?
Can you give CBD and CBG to your dog? Is it safe?
Yes. Many pet owners use a dog CBD oil tincture at night as a sedative to help sleep and CBG improve energy and focus.
While these two cannabinoids share some similar benefits, CBG offers unique benefits, as explained above. The combination of CBD and CBG makes a powerhouse team and promotes the entourage effect.
When CBD and CBG are taken together, they balance each other out and work synergistically.
A research paper indicated that combining CBG, CBD, and fish oil can resolve DNBS-induced colonic inflammation and produce intestinal anti-inflammatory effects.24
Further research showed CBG reduced the viability of glioblastoma tumors and stem cells comparable to THC. CBG combination with CBD was more effective than THC in the induction of caspase-dependent programmed cell death. Meaning the combination of CBD & CBG worked more effectively in reducing tumor cells.
The advantage of mixing these ingredients can undoubtedly boost benefits.
Given their unique benefits, it’s the optimal way to combat both mental and physical ailments in pets.
Below we show you two of our favorite CBG: CBD (2:1) oil brands.
What To Look For In CBG Oil For Dogs
Here’s are a few pointers to help get you started with CBG for dogs.
1. Pick a reputable pet company.
2. Check for third-party testing. This will validate the quality and safety of pet CBG products.
3. Check THC content. Make sure it is below 0.3%.
4. Ensure all other ingredients in the label are safe for dogs.
5. Aim for CO2 extraction derived CBG. It consistently produces the highest quality concentration of CBG.
6. Look for US-grown hemp plant-derived CBG. Organic grown.
The CBG oils we recommend below don’t have any of these harsh chemicals.
Best CBG Oil For Dogs Reviews
Our team of experts reviews the best CBG dog oils based on company standards, ingredients, third-party testing, pricing, customer reviews, the source of their ingredients, and more.
Here are the top CBD oils for dogs by category.
HolistaPet Dog CBG Oil Review (Best Overall)
Dogs and cats can now benefit from full-spectrum CBG oil from HolisticaPet, a well-known manufacturer of CBD products for pets.
HolistaPet’s CBG Oil for Dogs interacts with your canine’s endocannabinoid system, providing an organic remedy to joint pain, low moods, appetite loss, and memory, and much more.
It’s specifically designed for pets, reducing the risk for negative side effects.
The oil comes in many sizes
- 150 mg of CBG for pets under 20 pounds
- 300 mg of CBG for medium pets between 20 – 60 pounds
- 600 mg of CBG for large pets between 60 pounds and above
This CBG oil for dogs comes in an easy-to-use dropper bottle, perfect for application underneath your dog’s tongue or into a meal.
Additionally, it has 100% natural ingredients, is non-GMO, and is manufactured in the United States. Their products contain only organic vegan ingredients and are cruelty-free, non-GMO, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
Their formula also contains hemp seed oil to promote healthy pet skin and coats.
HolisticaPet offers a variety of full-spectrum CBD products, including oils, treats, capsules, shampoo, and catnip spray.
Ingredient List: Hemp seed oil, CBG oil
HolistaPet Coupon Code
Holistic Hound Dog CBG Oil Review (Best Organic)
The Holistic Hound 300 mg CBG from Full Spectrum Hemp Oil promotes hip, joint, and immune support, relaxation, brain function, urinary health, and overall well-being.
It’s specially formulated for medium to large breeds and contains all the phytocannabinoids and beneficial ingredients that naturally exist in the cannabis plant. These components include CBD, CBC, CBG, up to 0.3% THC, flavonoids, terpenes, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals, and phenolic compounds.
They have a one-size-fits-all 1 oz tincture that contains 300 mg of CBG, with a 1 mL dropper that can hold 10.2 mg of CBG.
This oil is USDA-certified organic and both non-GMO and non-drowsy. It’s important to note that every bottle is made in Vermont, using a supercritical CO2 extraction method. A unique property is that the company uses high-grade, organic MCT coconut oil as the carrier oil, which is flavorless and easily undetected by your pet.
Holistic Hound also uses third-party testing to guarantee the potency, safety, and purity of their CBG dog oil. They guarantee that your pet will receive the effects within 15-30 minutes, peak in 1-2 hours, and last between 4-8 hours.
Ingredient List: Organic MCT coconut oil, CBG from full-spectrum organic hemp oil
Holistic Hound Coupon Code
Looking for a Holistic Hound coupon code? Click here for the best deal we could find. You can also subscribe and save 10% with the ability to pause or cancel anytime.
Lola Hemp Dog CBG Oil Review (Best 2:1 CBD: CBG)
The Lola Hemp Extra Strength Hemp Oil (2:1 CBD:CBG) is a powerful combination of 1800 mg of full-spectrum CBD and CBG made from organically grown hemp in a 2 to 1 ratio.
This oil promotes joint health, improved mobility, and enhanced strength in dogs. It’s best suited for larger breeds who have already tried the regular oil, and need something stronger.
The Lola Hemp website boasts an abundance of positive reviews, one of which, details the exceptional relief their CBD/CBG oil provided to her boxer/lab mix and his hurt leg. She talks about how it makes for the perfect substitute for the traditional pain medication that wreaks havoc on her pup’s intestinal system.
Another great plus is that the website provides a link to the lab testing they’ve done on this product, making a really great option for larger breeds who want the best of both CBD’s calming effects and CBG’s mental and physical support.
They even provide a dosing calculator to determine the exact amount you should be giving your dog each day!
Ingredient List: Certified organic full-spectrum whole hemp plant extract, CBG isolate, fractionated coconut oil
Lola Hemp Coupon Code
Looking for a Lola Hemp coupon code? Click here for the best deal we could find. Subscribe and save 20%!
Bailey’s CBG Oil Review (Best Vet-Recommeded 2:1)
Type: Full-Spectrum | Potency: 900mg & 1800mg (CBG & CBD combined) | Price: $89.99 – $149.99
Bailey’s CBG oil for dogs is an excellent product if you want Fido to enjoy the benefits of CBG and CBD.
CBD & CBG work together as naturally occurring hemp-based adaptogens, promoting “homeostasis” or balance, at a systemic level.
A full dropper contains 20mg of naturally occurring CBD and 10mg of naturally occurring CBG.
Aside from providing the benefits of CBD and CBG, coconut oil is included as a carrier and to promote coat health, relieve itchy skin and allergies, improve digestion, boost the immune system, and even prevent fleas and ticks.
Ingredient List: Full-spectrum organic hemp extract CBD & CBG, terpenes and organic MCT coconut oil
Bayiley’s Coupon Code
Looking for Bailey’s coupon code? Click here for the best deal we could find. Subscribe and save 20%!
Best CBG Oil For Cats
The Primal Pets Organic Hemp Oil for Cats is a wonderful option for feline-lovers alike.
The potency of this product is low enough to ensure your kitty won’t overdose by accident.
This oil is especially unique because it’s one of the only cat-specific CBG oils on the market. It’s organically made in Vermont and scientifically proven to help with digestive and urinary health, increase cognitive function, and promote mental clarity without sleepiness.
Primal Pets uses MCT coconut oil as their carrier and guarantees that 8.34 mg of the 9.7 mg of the organic hemp extract is naturally occurring CBG.
Unfortunately, this product is sold at brick and mortar stores so you can’t order it online. You can visit their store locator to see if there are stores near you. Options are limited though.
For this reason, we highly recommend our top overall pick, HolistaPet’s CBG Oil. It’s made especially for both dogs and cats.
Ingredient List: Full-spectrum organic hemp extract, organic MCT coconut oil
How To Use CBG Oil In Dogs
Here are the top ways to administer CBG oil to your dog.
1. Sublingual administration. It is the most efficient method for fast absorption and effects. Feeding CBG under the tongue allows straight diffusion into the bloodstream.
2. In snack or food. Adding a few drops of CBG to your dog’s food or treats is another great feeding alternative.
3. Water bowl. Add CBG to your pet’s water bowl.
4. Add it to the skin. CBG oil easily spreads on your dog’s skin after gently rubbing. Just apply a few drops on affected pain areas or infuse it with a pet balm and apply it topically.
Dog CBG Oil Dosage
The amount of CBG oil you administer to your dog will vary by manufacturer. Remember, each bottle of CBD comes in different concentrations expressed in milligrams (mg).
How Much CBG Oil Should I Give My Dog?
Underdosing is preferred at first. Monitor your dog’s response. If everything seems to be going well, shift to the manufacturer’s dosing guidelines for your specific CBG oil. Most dog CBG oil companies provide detailed dosing guidelines with their products.
The CBD oil dosage for your dog will depend on its size.
Some websites will include a dosing calculator, however, use the following information as general guidelines for specific conditions.
A good rule of thumb is to start with 0.25mg to 0.50mg for every 10 pounds of body weight. It’s always best to start with a smaller dose and work your way up.
CBG Oil Dog Treat Recipe
Make this delicious treat recipe for a tasty snack while providing the awesome benefit of CBG.
Try this Peanut Butter CBG Cookies recipe your dog will love.
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 cups of old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon CBG oil
- Coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 325°.
- Use coconut oil to infuse with CBG in the recipe. Mix together a tablespoon of coconut oil with how many mg of CBG you would like to your per treat dosage to be.
- Mix together oats into a blender until you get a flour-like consistency. Then, combine 1 ripe banana, mashed, alongwith peanut butter and the infused coconut oil. Stir this together with the oats and knead thoroughly until moistened.
- Slightly dust a flat surface with dough, then use your hands to shape the dough into a circle, about ¼ thick inch. Use a cookie cutter (this can be any shape or size!) and cut out the treats. Place the cutouts on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden brown for approximately 25 – 30 minutes depending on the thickness of the treats. With the measurements included in this recipe, you can make about 30 treats for 1-inch thick treats or 15 for 2-inch treats.
Dog CBG Oil Alternatives
While CBG is showing very promising results as a holistic therapeutic remedy for dogs and humans, it’s important to say research still in progress before we can confidently back up all its benefits.
As always, be sure to check with your vet before trying CBG.
Check out our reviews of the best CBD oils for dogs and CBD dog treats if you haven’t yet tried CBD dog products or you want to switch brands. The products we recommend are only the best quality to ensure your pup is receiving the best care.
CBD offers a whole new realm of health benefits for pets and the science is there to back it up.
Sources and References:  Calyx Wellness,  HolistaPet,  Aspet Journals  PubMed  NCBI: ECS of Animals  Frontiers: Cannabigerol Action  VeryWellMind  Springer Link,  Science Direct,  ACS Infectious Disease,  Behavioral Pharmachology,  Springer Link: CBG Neuroprotective Properties  PubMed: Multiple Sclerosis,  MDPI,  PubMed: CBG & Parkinson’s Disease,  PubMed: CBG Ocular & Central Effects,  Hindawi,  PubMed,  IBD CBG,  MDPI: CBG Anxiety,  Cannabinoids on Bladder Contractility,  Psychipharmacology: CBG Toleration,  European Comission,  Wiley: CBG & CBD Combined Therapy